AMVETS Post 1 June 2014 Newsletter is reprinted below. By opening the
attached Microsoft word document you will be able to view more detail.
The monthly Calendar is also attached as a Microsoft Excel file and easy to read
Post # 1 Newsletter Editor AMVETS Post #1 Commander
Adjutant: J. E. “Gene” Foster Shelley Pelletier
As may winds down and we get ready for Department Convention June 6, 7, & 8, we can take a moment and look back at all Post 1 has accomplished in May.
• Over $1800 worth of personal hygiene items were purchased and donated to the Volunteers of America who sponsor and staff the two local Veterans Transition centers here in Biddeford and Saco. The items we donated provide Veterans who with personal health care items that they otherwise do not have.
• Getting the Biddeford Veterans Memorial Park “Memorial Day ready” was accomplished with the able assistance of Bill Thibodeau who re-roped the flag poles, as well as a “garden crew” who prepared the ground and planted 100 geraniums in time for Memorial Day ceremonies. The Post 1 Garden Crew consisted of: Dave Field, Lionel Lamontagne, Julie Vachon, Deb Underwood, Bill Thibodeau, & Richard Nolette.
• Post 1 took the lead in getting grave marker flags on Veterans’ graves at Woodlawn and Greenwood cemeteries. Over two thousand flags were placed thanks to Deb Underwood, Lionel Lamontagne, Linda Watters, Ace Adcox, Paul Derosiers, Norman Boisvert, Amy Farley, Bill Thibodeau, Doris Day, Darlene Bean, April Lajoie, Richard Nolette, Gene Foster, and Shelley Pelletier.
• Once again, Biddeford streets along the parade route were adorned with new American Flags on the utility poles thanks to Fred Hoyer and Richard Nolette.
• Each year, Post 1 holds memorial services at four cemeteries (Woodlawn, Greenwood, St. Mary’s, & St. Josephs). Doing the honors this year were Cathy Lessard, Barbara Field, Paulette Traynor, Barbara Jackson, Louise Laveriere, & Francis Allen.
• The Memorial Day Parade & Ceremony was well staffed and overwhelming well attended drawing the largest crowd of onlookers in years. Parade planning and participation was staffed by: Kevin Caddigan & Ace Adcox (ceremony set-up), participants, Shelley Pelletier, Scott Isaac, Scott Farley & Lionel Lamontagne. Also participating were several crewmembers members from the USS ALEXANDRIA.
• Following the Memorial Day Ceremony, Post 1 hosted an open house complimentary luncheon which included vegetable trays, pasta salads, potato salad, corn on the cob, baked beans, clam chowder, BBQ burgers, hot dogs & sausages. Over 200 people were served. This event was well planed, well organized, and well executed – none of which would have happened without hard work from: John Campbell and Norm Boisvert (hall preparation), Cooks – Richard Nolette, Guy Gowen, Robert Bourgault, Danny Nadeau, & Fred Hoyer; Kitchen & wait staff – Bonnie and Ray Yoho, Amy Farley, Cathy Lessard, Doris Day, April Lajoie, Julie Vachon, & Faedra Binnette.
Don’t forget Department Convention! June 6th, 7th, and 8th at the Clarion Hotel in Portland, Maine. Our next AMVETS meeting will be Sunday, June 22nd at 9:00 AM. The new post commander, Lionel Lamontagne, has requested that all officers will meet IN UNIFORM at 8:30 for pictures.
LADIES AUXILIARY NEWS
The June meeting is scheduled for the second Wednesday, June 11th at 6:30 PM. We changed the date so all can be brought up to date on Convention news.
Sons of AMVETS News
It’s Horseshoe Tournament time again every Friday starting at 5:00PM. Post 1, always the best place to be on Friday nights!